Master Series: Episode 6 "The Kojoike Tunnel"

There were often times when my master could see something that I couldn't.

One summer my Master in the Way of Occult took me on a ride through the Kojoike Tunnel around midnight.

The Kojoike Tunnel is a famous tunnel situated in K_ , a city which was right next to the one where we lived. The tunnel is known to be one of the five most famous haunted places in the area.
For some strange reason K_city had a lot of haunted places.
On the way to the tunnel my master explained to me the main attraction of the place:

"The Kojoike Tunnel is haunted for real. The telephone box in front of it is also great but inside the tunnel the thing gets in."
I have heard about that before.
"Especially it's dangerous to drive with only three people in the car. If you leave one seat empty, it gets in there."
I had a really awful feeling.
There was a stuffed doll on the passenger seat next to Master.
I lost all hope of dissuading him.
"I see. So you are going to lure it in."
The tunnel came into our sight.

I didn't see anything in the telephone box in front of the tunnel, but once inside I sensed a palpable difference in the air.
It was much darker than I had expected and I kept looking around nervously.

Just a few metres into the tunnel all my previous doubt about the rumour was gone; the ear-ringing started.
I was undecided about whether to sit on the right or left side of the seat and ended up just fidgeting uncomfortably in the middle.

I wondered whether it was going to come from the right, that is, from the direction of the opposite lane, or from the the tunnel wall on the left.
I was holding my breath when Master suddenly shouted.

"I'll kill you, you bast**d!"
I thought he was shouting at me and trembled.
"Keep your head down. Don't let him touch you."
The ear-ringing was getting intense. But I couldn't see anything unusual at all.
I quickly lowered my head but imagining that there might have been an invisible hand that had passed over my head nearly gave me a heart attack.

"Don't you run away!! If you run away I'll kill you again!"
I had seen him go berserk before but never so intense as this.
"Oi! Don't let him run away. Take pictures, quickly."
He had entrusted me with his camera for this occasion.

But- :
"Where is it?"
"Hurry up, he's by the right window."
"I can't see anything!"
"The taxi cap! Can't you see it? - Don't f**king run away! I'll kill you!"
"I can't see it!"
I heard Master click his tongue in annoyance and saw him turn back to the wheel.

Oh no..he is going to stop the car...
I felt all the blood drain from my face and I pressed the shutter button again and again like crazy.

When we came out of the tunnel I was totally shaken.
Later Master showed me the photos he had developed and all of them showed the window and tunnel lights beyond them.
My master said, a little crossly, "it was the window to my right."
When I looked at one of the pictures more closely I saw the reflection of myself holding a camera on the window; and behind me over my shoulder was a transparent shape of a terrified-looking old man wearing a taxi cap.

Comments

Cut said…
woah thats interesting, i wonder if the poor spirit was someone the master had killed before
Anonymous said…
That doesn't really make sense. In a car everyone faces the same way, so the driver's left is the passenger's left. How could the master's right be different from the narrator's right?
Unknown said…
Thank you for another yarn, Ms. Saya. I trust that the new year finds you well. Be safe.
woomobile said…
@Anon: He was turned around when he said that.
Still a kinda weak story.
neu said…
This one's a bit confusing... I feel sorry for the old man, though. :(
Steve said…
Pretty good story, Saya, though I must admit it lacks in comparison to the other "My Master" stories. Otherwise, it was still definitely creepy. Hope to see more in the future Saya! I definitely want to hear more of this guy's story.
Thanks for your cool comments, guys!;)
Adorably Dead said…
Wow I actually feel sorry for the spirit. But if the Master felt the need to shout those things, it makes me wonder how safe the spirit really was in the first place.
Just replying your comments:)

@chris: An interesting speculation! I've never thought of the possibility.

@William: Always a gentleman! Thank you dear.

@woomobile:oh!Someone understood my writing. Thank you ;)

@neu: yeah, poor old man!

@Steve: I do agree with you. This isn't the best out of the series. But there will be better ones coming so sit tight!

@Adorably Dead: I must say Master isn't the nicest person! He is usually mean to ghosts and people alike!
Anonymous said…
add some more add some more :O
Anonymous said…
Nice story! Even though I have to agree that this one is lacking compared to the other Master series.

I've been a silent reader since back then and I'm glad that you're back, Saya. Welcome back and keep up the good work! :)
Hardi said…
Hi Saya, it's my first time to visit your blog and to be honest i'm quite fascinated by your collection of stories.

I'm looking forward to read more of your post. Thanks ^^

Apparently the ghost was after master, and he was aware of it, so i guess that spirit might have been his "victim"
Anonymous said…
Having read your various posts about this 'Master' person, I must admit I'm intrigued~ I can't wait until the next one. 'Master' certainly is a fascinating person!
scarfish69 said…
This is only my second visit, having been linked to the hide and seek post. That was enough to bring me back. I love creepy legends, stories, things that put a chill up your spine. Interesting blog, good story, look forward to lurking some more.
Anonymous said…
There's something about this series that breaks my heart...
Subaiii said…
Will there be another episode?
Anonymous said…
Are you going to translate and release the rest of the master series?